12.23 Studios

Lab Notes

(05/25/20)

------...


For a couple days after doing the show I played around with the 'Baker Bivy' designs. You can go from three pairs of tent poles to no poles, just guy lines and stakes. Six poles allows a small Baker-style rocket stove campfire...


This is the 14 x 16 ft. scale design that has 4 x 6 x 8 ft. inside. A heavy duty tarp would make this an all-weather shelter...


While shopping for the tarps, next up is the mobile power control panel. These cheap plastic dollar store tubs tend to crack and split easily, so I cut a piece of Plastruct to hold the actual components. This is the last piece from my ill-conceived powerbox project (I don't remember what I was gonna do with 600V DC strapped to my hip once the Ac part stopped working...)


The DC outlet mount...


The components placed with enough room for labels...


The instrument mounts had to be done using millimeters to stay within a 1mm margin...


The starting templates for the ugly top...


Dry fitting components one at a time...


After trimming the top with an exacto, the switches snap in snug, the meters very snug, so much that taking them out cracked the lid between them...


The dremel helped shape the toggle switch holes...


Complete control panel dry mounted...


Inside view - plenty of room for the hardware and wiring...


An example of uncut tarps using only two poles, placed between the rear 'vestibule' and the sleeping space, with back, sides and front staked and guyed down. A pair of two or three ft. poles placed at four feet provides more encolsed headroom in the 12 x 14 bivy; a 10 x 12 rain tarp works as well as it would be more openly staked...


The 14 x 16 design done this way wastes a lot of tarp, but this one shows the bike and cart 'vestibule' area - 4 x 6 x 3 ft., and how the tarp would be staked, guy lines not shown...


The control box with installed outlet...


Instead of bolts, a couple zip ties and duct tape could secure the outlet...


On the left side, the ports for the backup battery cable to the backup switch...


The front ports for the battery lines...


The charge controller can be mounted this way, with a big slot cut to fit the terminal block through...


Instead of the side, I'll put the controller in front, next to the outlet. The access port should be high enough to accomodate the thick wires...


Access port cleared...


12V outlet ports cleared...


Backup battery port cleared...


Battery cable ports cleared...


Reinforcing the plastic with duct tape patches inside and out...


All cable ports reinforced...


Last Tues. my sleeping pad came in a day early, so after washing hands, unboxing, washing hands, I fit it to the handlebar sling...


The support strap buckles fixed with duct tape braces...


Second fitting...


The sling mounted to the bar, not too wide up front. The pad is 14 oz...


A standoff will be needed to keep the sling off the front cables...


Last Wed. I got a foot of 2" wide plumbing PVC, marked, cut and sanded two 3" standoffs for the sling...


Detail...


Dry fitting...


The standoffs clear 2.75" from the bar, enough to move the sling body off the brake and shifting levers, though it still rests against the cables...


The cables need their own standoff...


There's enough clearance for the eventual fender, straps aside...


I got two bottles of yellow Heet, the most efficient and economical alcohol fuel...


10 aluminum tent stakes for the tarp...

Youtube channel for Lab Notes Vids Youtube channel for Lab Notes Vids...